Montag, 17. Oktober 2016

Kona 2016 – A good time to leave


Prologue
It had been clear ever since I went to see my orthopaedic surgeon early this year that 2016 would have me do the last season of long distance racing. At least for the foreseeable future. After three surgeries my knees just won’t take the run mileage anymore to race competitively - without causing serious long term damage. So with luck at the Celtman lottery and the Kona slot secured at IM wales last year, this year would be my good bye year to lond distance racing with two of the most iconic races there are.

So without any much of any run mileage (then 80 in total for the year) I went and did Celtman in June. Had a blast there. Surprisingly – with the Munroe climb in the middle of the run part – even in all three disciplines.



Kona perp - well...
Then, I tried to run at least twice per week. Had no fun at that! Got two 2h+ runs in at around 5:15min/k pace. And then fell sick two weeks prior to departure for Kona. Just like running, swimming had been almost non-existent in 2016 (after Kona we now stand at a total of 45k for 2016). At least I got some decent cycling mileage in and was confident to be able to ride around 5hrs in Kona. Still, for this time around even that didn’t have priority. It had been about proving myself that despite of a severely upped work schedule and an ever worsening knee I could KQ. Kona would be the icing on the dessert cake of my long distance career. I took along the big girl, the ´little´ one regrettably had school obligations preventing her from going.

So a week before the `race` we flew out and besides from getting a few workouts in did everything you can do in one week on the big island: see the lave flow into the ocean, see turtles on the daily swims in the giant aquarium that is the pacific ocean, snorkel with manta rays, see the sunset from Mauna Kea, meet my Timex peeps many times and have breakfast at Lava Java café as many time as possible. At our Timex team dinner on Wednesday I announced my long distance retirement after this race and gave everyone a little something to prepare for Oktoberfest – if they ever get to go, that is.


And yes, we did get to do the Undedrpants Run... and it was quite evident where my training focus lay this year:


Race Day - Swim
Even though time was not of the essencerace morning still saw me as nervous as ever. I was looking at a time of between 10:15 and 11:15 hours depending on how the wind would be and my knees would hold up. But I had no real idea about a possible time for the swim. Between 1:05 and 1:10h I thought doable though. With the sun rising above Haleakala it was about time to get into the water. I took a little timeout to contemplate the state of things, though. 
 In the shadow of legends.
When I entered the water I noticed that the fire does not burn as hot as it once did: No goose bumps, no excitement, just doubts whether this whirlpool of a swim would play out.

Surprisingly, after the gun went off my swim went by rather uneventful. No real brawl where I was swimming, at the turn around deceivingly fast (29min) and back in a more realistic total of 1:08h flat. Right in the sweet spot of what I thought possible.
Fat man in a tight suit.

Bike - A horrible but secnic affair!


I took my time in transition and equipped myself for a hot day. Out on the bike I did notice A LOT of traffic immediately. I had exited the water in just about an hour in 2013 and there was way less people. All through the loop through Kona I kept passing people. Out towards the airport I noticed that even though I pushed decent watts (as planned around 230) I was not dropping too many people. Well, I though they all go out way too hard and I don’t! So I did not mind too much when the shuffling began and still tried to leave people behind. Regrettably none of the athletes around me cared for any drafting rules. They just used every single opportunity to jump onto just the next wheel. I’d like to single out racer  No.486, Mr Chuck Sperazza. You’ve got guts, man! I am so happy you DNFed, you cannot imagine!
It got even worse at/after Waikoloa when the headwind set in rather early. With no ambitions at all in the race and here to enjoy myself as much as possible I had a decision to make: Either got for a reasonable bike split or just take it easy and enjoy as much as possible. I opted for the latter and spent what felt like half of the bike ride on the shoulder watching what was transpiring. It was bad! And it was sad! Had I had any ambition to race here, I would have been furious. This way I was just seriously disappointed by my fellow triathletes. As a rather faster cyclist in the past I had gained even on groups and many times even ridden a cushion big enough into the chasers/drafters that it was enough to keep them at bay for most of the run. On 08 October 2016 this would not have been possible! Too many guys willing to draft on too little road and no marshals in sight!

I then kept my eyes on good nutrition and tried to thank as many volunteers as possible out in the bike course already. When we came back to Waikoloa I almost managed to high five Sophia who had come out there to spectate with Hannes’ bus. The way back into Kona from there had a stiff head wind for most of the time and a number of decent groups in sight. I tried to stay out of this shitty game, again using the shoulder a lot! I tried to take it all in one last time as part of the race that started it all and got a little emotional around Scenic Point.
I hit T2 after a scenic training ride of some 5 hours and 17 minutes averaging what I do for an easy training ride (202 watts). Lucky for me this left my legs in an easy going shape.

Run - PB for the first 10k
So after a lot of iced towels I headed out into unknown territory. I grabbed a lot of ice and fluids at every aid station and settled at what felt like walking pace (6min/k). One thing that was almost too awesome was all the Timex support crews out there as well as the 18 Timex athletes that were in the race. We high fived a lot and this gave a lot of energy back. And to my very surprise for the first time I was able not to overheat on Ali’i Drive. I actually set a PB for the first 10k at an incredible 59:30min. No kidding! ;) And I enjoyed it actually even at this pace, just compare the pics from '08, '11 and this year:



Just before the turnaround at the little blue church fellow Timex buddies Traveller Hill and Craig Lanza passed me. At the turnaround I was surprised to pass The Bruce who had a very bad day out there. Being one of the fastest swimmers in the crowd he had started out front after a 50min swim only to be passed by pelotons of up to 100 athletes. I passed the half way mark right on the 6min/k spot with 2:06h. Soon afterwards I saw two Timex jerseys in front of me. It was Craig and Trav walking side by side. I then made a decision that in hindsight could not have been better: I stayed with them, encouraged them to pick up running agin and so the Timex triplet started its way towards the Natural Energy Lab. We chatted and I tried to lift especially Travs spirits again – he was in a very hadt spot with some nerve pain but kept on running. We took our time at the aid stations and I settled into a routine to just grab a galleon of cold water and pour it over my head. Man did this feel good. Once we entered the road to the Energy Lab Meghan Fillnow flew by – great job, girl! Then while I stayed withTrav, Craig supposedly went to the loo/grabbed some food at an aid station that Trav walked and we didn’t see him any more after this. He had for whatever reason found his running legs again down in the Energy Lab – of all places and just went. Trav and I – now the Timex twins – stayed together and shared also the last 13k from the last turnaround. Again I got a little emotional when we hit the highway again but got myself together again after a few minutes. At the time it looked as if we could still make sub 11hrs but after I had a bit of a low between mile 22 and 24 that was also out of the question. Still we had had fun out there and met a few other fellow Timex peeps and cheered them on!

Running down Palani Road I actually had enormous fun. See for yourselves:


Just before the right turn onto Hualalai I asked Trav whether he’d like to cross the finish line tgether and he said he’d already made a plan and I should just be spontaneous. We took our time also there and had the finish chute for us, did the RAF. Then at the finish line, even without glasses we toasted and high fived to a grand day out!



Other than in 2013 I was not rushed to the medical tent but rather walked my way towards the post-race pizza. I interrupted this walk when I spotted Andrew Messick right in front of my and just very quickly told him what I think of how they run this race. Something has to happen! If not for me any more then at least for other that want a fair race and the legend to live.

The day ended with quick nap on the sidewalk and a well-earned Mexican food and a bike ride in the dark back to the hotel.

Wrap-up
They say: ‘Never say never!’, but I am pretty sure that my competitive long distance career is over. Knees and work just don’t permit it anymore. And after some 15 years in the triathlon bubble I’ve been phasing out gradually over the last two years anyway. And I am of the firm opinion that I said good bye the right way at the right time. And had a blast! What more can you ask for?

So off to… Golf? We’ll see. It was surfing on Kauai first though. 


Thanks go out to family first and than to sponsors! Cheers to y'all! 

p.s. What happened in Huggo’s by the Beach on Sunday night will not be told. Ever. ;)



Keine Kommentare: